Can't you see the island?

Can't you see the island?

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Packing is as packing does...



Ok, so here's the problem. I created a packing list and started figuring out what I need to buy (I know so unlike me!) BUT that was bad bad idea.

I HAVE SO MUCH TO DO!

Not only do I need to start packing and figuring out what I can take in my two suitcases but I have to go BUY a lot of it! I feel like the time I have until I leave just keeps rushing by and I don't have enough time to see people, pack, buy the necessities and be ready on time. How did I ignore this for so long?? I should have started weeks ago and the fact that I didn't was just silly.

I received my staging email this week as well. I officially have a staging date and location and a flight. It's crazy that I have less than 30 days until I am out of the country for over 2 years...But for those who are interested, I am leaving DC on February 9th and arriving in Philadelphia late that night, I have about 7 hours of staging in the hotel on February 10th and I leave on a bus for New York at 2:30AM on February 11th. I will fly from New York to Johannesburg, South Africa and then from there I will fly to Antananarivo, Madagascar. Then I will start my time as a trainee and if I learn enough and have enough language proficiency at the end of my training I will officially become a volunteer. My journey has begun!

On a side note, I started writing my "just in case" letters this week. And let me tell you, its HARD. First of all, figuring out what you want to say if something bad happens to you is hard to imagine, what do I want to say if I never have a chance to say anything again? Umm...mostly sorry I didn't stay with you. But I'm managing I need to get them done before I leave for California because I'm leaving them with Alaina along with a few other odds and ends.

I know that some people have a lot of questions about the Peace Corps. I know a lot of information and I still have questions! Here's a cool video that recruiters often show at universities at info sessions. Well, there is not that much else that is going on with me. I hope you all have a wonderful week!!!

Best,
Chloe

1 comment:

  1. That's okay Chloe... I went through the same stress in September when I was getting ready to leave for Mozambique. You'll pack all (or a lot) of the wrong things, but when you get there you'll be able to get most of the stuff you forgot, didn't think you'd need, or didn't even think about bringing. Bring a good pair of Chacos for sure. I love them and they were the best Christmas present ever. Definitely wished they were included in the beginning. Pack some candies and food and parmesan cheese for your 2 year bag. At least here, they took one of our bags and when I got it when I was at site, I was so happy to have chocolate and candy and fresh underwear! Something to think about! :) Can't wait to follow your adventure as well! :)

    ReplyDelete