Can't you see the island?

Can't you see the island?

Thursday, July 23, 2015

Here, There, and Everywhere

Hey all!

Soooo, remember that funny joke I told? You might remember...it was over a year ago (bashful look to the side) when I said I was excited to settle down in Boston and I would post more blog entries.

HA!

But in all reality I didn't mean it as a joke. As it turns out blogging just got lost in the jumble that has been the last year of my life. I started working at State Street, learned a lot about the financial services industry and even more about myself. Learned what it means to literally have no plans for an entire weekend and also learned that making friends after college is hard but we can all do it!

I wrote this blog entry for a reason, I sense a trend, I have some news! I will be moving away from Boston at the end of July! Just one week away! I know, I can hardly believe it. But I have accepted a job offer to work at Vanguard, another financial services company, in Scottsdale, AZ. WAIT. I know some of you are looking at that confused, could it be real? That's right my wonderful friends and family, I am moving BACK to a place I have lived before. I KNOW! I must be crazy. I'm really thankful for all the things I have learned while working at State Street and I'm excited to bring that knowledge to this great new opportunity. I figured since I haven't posted in so long I'd give you some highlights of the last year.

Well, it must be mentioned, it is what spurred me to look for work in other places, Snow. Such a small word, and I really thought I knew what it meant, I flaunt that mountain girl title like I was born to it. But I forgot two important words that go before it here in Boston, NEW ENGLAND snow. Completely different animal. It doesn't snow at night or in the morning and then the sun melts it off the roads, no, it falls, and falls, and falls. And then once it has fallen, it falls some more and then if you're lucky it will stop. But then the worst part happens. It doesn't melt, at all. How can that be? It makes no sense? But it is fact, You can go a week maybe even two with no snow, but does that actually matter? Not really, because you car is still buried under 5 feet of snow (and no I'm not using hyperbole).

That would be my car...under all that snow


First day, of first storm, pretty calm...until we hit 2 feet.

In all reality, I have been informed that winters are not all buried in snow and limiting of your ability to walk to work. But Boston managed to have one of the worst, if not the worst, winters on record. And I just picked the perfect time to live here. Surviving this winter and the snow getting dumped on us on a weekly basis may be the biggest adventure I have had in living on my own. But I did survive, with better snow skills (and bigger blankets) than I thought I would obtain.

I have also managed to at least stop and wander around in every New England state. That was one of my main goals in moving here, seeing a part of the country I haven't really seen before. Vermont and Maine are my favorites, they are so beautiful and relaxing, a wonderful getaway from the city. I went to a Darius Rucker concert in New Hampshire, explored a little of Newport and Providence, Rhode Island, and drove through Connecticut. And between these little adventures I explored a little of Boston, I was able to learn more about the city and show what I knew to a few friends and family that were able to come visit me!


Alaina and I went to Portland, ME! (May 2015)


VT snowmobiling (Februart 2015)


Mom and Dad came to visit before Christmas (December 2015)


VT February 2015 


VT Camp July 2015


New Years Eve in Boston!


Water Fires Providence, RI

I was also able to make some great trips around the country including everywhere from Seattle to New Orleans to Atlanta and Asheville (I have to see the nephew!) and a few places in-between. Not a lot has changed, I'm still wandering around trying to find my place and I'm still utterly hilarious (at least to me :D) but I did learn some interesting things.


I had to show at least one, the nephew and I at Thanksgiving!


1. Change, no matter how big or how small, is something you have to embrace or it can crush you.

2. It doesn't matter if you understand why you are learning something, learn it, and along the way it will start to make some sense.

3. Family, no matter how far away they are, will always be there for you.

4. It's not the money you make, or the things you have, it's how you use what you DO have that matters, make decisions based on yourself and not those around you.

5. No matter how desperate you feel or how scared you are, if you force a smile it will at some point become genuine.

6. Laugh at yourself and laugh alone.

On that note, have a happy day! And don't forget to laugh!

Love ya!
Chlo


No comments:

Post a Comment